What Can You Expect From an Eye Exam?
Eye exams are the foundation for maintaining excellent ocular health, and we make sure your visit is comfortable, thorough, and timely.
Your examination will begin with a detailed conversation regarding your overall health, your ocular health, any questions or concerns you may have. We will also discuss your visual goals, for example an interest in contact lenses or laser eye surgery. After this, we will proceed with the rest of the exam.
Dr. Chan will examine your eyes thoroughly using a variety of specialized diagnostic equipment. These tests include:
- A visual acuity test to measure the sharpness of your vision
- A colour vision test to detect any signs of hereditary colour vision deficiencies
- A binocular vision test to see how well your eyes work together
- A refraction to measure your prescription for glasses, if you need them
- A slit-lamp examination using a biomicroscope to check the health of your eyes
- A dilated pupil exam to gain a better view of the inside of your eyes
- Tonometry to measure your intraocular pressure (IOP) to detect signs of glaucoma.
At the completion of the exam, Dr. Chan will provide her findings, including any recommendations she might have to improve your vision and protect your eyes. Dr. Chan will also communicate with your physician, sharing any information that might be relevant to your overall health, particularly if you have diabetes or a health concern suggesting that a systemic work up needs to be done.